SCIP (Stimulating Creativity in Practice) SIG Meeting
March 28, 2019, 8:00AM
Grand America Hotel (Versailles)
Salt Lake City, UT
In attendance: Jill Chisnell, Heather Gendron, Greg Hatch, Mikael Kriz, Sunyoung Park
Minutes submitted by Jill Chisnell (SCIP SIG coordinator)
Welcome and Introductions
Jill Chisnell took over as the SCIP SIG coordinator in November 2018. Since then she has been working on planning the conference makerspace with staff from the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah. She is in touch with Peter Klubek, a former SCIP coordinator. Introductions continued as attendees shared their institution, position, and creative interests (professional and personal).
Makerspace at ARLIS/NA 2019
This year’s makerspace has been organized by SCIP and staff from Creativity & Innovation Services at the Marriott Library. Activities include 3D printing, VR/AR experiences, and hands-on making activities such as pinback buttons, postcards, zines, and bookmarks. Puzzles and chess are also available. Makerspace representatives and volunteers are on-site to provide instructions and demonstrations, as well as share how they’ve implemented creative activities at their libraries.
- Wednesday March 27, 3-5:30pm
- Thursday, March 28, 9am-5pm
- Friday, March 29, 9am-1pm
SCIP Communication and Information Sharing (past, present, future)
WordPress blog is out-of-date. While there doesn’t appear to be much interest in populating the blog at this time, the group discussed automated RSS feeds from social media accounts that could feed to the blog. There was also mention of an online exhibit of member artwork.
There was interest in exploring Instagram:
- Use a SIG-specific hashtag like #scipsig
- Additional relevant hashtags #creativelibrarian, #artlibrary, #craftylibrarian, #artlibrarian, #artinthelibrary
The public Facebook group (ARLIS/NA Stimulating Creativity in Practice SIG), administered by Megan Lotts (Rutgers University Libraries), is active.
The group will continue to use ARLIS-L and SCIP listserv for major announcements. Following the conference, Jill plans to attend to housekeeping issues including the SCIP listserv and current member list.
ARLIS/NA 2020 in St. Louis
Mikael Kriz is on local conference planning committee for ARLIS/NA 2020. In addition to the conference makerspace, the group discussed potential SCIP sponsored events such as:
- tour of local makerspace or gallery
- local artist lecture (Mikael mentioned a local Marvel comic artist.)
- slideshow of member artwork to play prior to keynote speech or all-conference programming (this has been done at past conferences)
- SCIP facilitated panel
Conference makerspace ideas:
- add additional creative activities such as drawing
- work with Academic Technology Common at Saint Louis University Libraries to offer technology activities and/or equipment lending (360º camera)