2021 Virtual Annual Meeting Minutes

SCIP Meeting Minutes
April 27th, 2021 via Zoom

Heather Gendron (Coordinator), Ann Lindell, Emily Coxe, Janine St. Germaine, Sheila Fox, Anna Boutin-Cooper, Barbara Prior, Diane Lopez, Heather Koopmans, Shannon Robinson, Ann Whiteside, Peter Klubek

Introductions/Ice Breaker
Attendees each shared one thing that they created in the past year, which ranged from artwork and handmade objects, to a lap loom made on a 3D printer, to a speculative library projects initiative.

SCIP 2021-22 Goals
The group discussed the 2021-22 SCIP goals drafted by the coordinator.

Strengthen SCIP’s social media presence: Heather will create a new Instagram account for SCIP and Shannon Robinson volunteered to assist with setting up a social media plan and helping to gather content from the SCIP community.

Janine suggested trying Instameets. Someone suggested the collection of objects left behind by library users that’s on display at the Flaxman Library as a potential one for an Instameet at the Chicago conference next year.

Highlight the creativity of our members and the role of creativity in our careers: The group discussed how Instagram could be used to achieve this goal. Heather also mentioned the 2014 DC conference online art exhibit, but no one in the meeting had worked on that exhibit.

Develop SCIP SIG programming at conferences: Heather mentioned that SCIP has set up post card making tables and other makerspace activities over the years. It would be nice to have SCIP sponsored programming around creativity and libraries. A few ideas came up in discussion:

  • Artists residencies in libraries and archives – how to set them up and get them funded.
  • Posters and presentations – Diane suggested creating a prize for artistic/creative conference presentations and posters. Make a badge for the winner(s) with most creative approach.
  • Heather suggested that the project Shannon is working on about speculative futures might make a good workshop.

Explore how diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging intersect with making, creativity, and being an ARLIS/NA member: There was discussion of creating an inclusive workplace and how imagination is required in developing new ways forward for library organizations. Heather invited members to attend the conference session this year by her, Jill Chisnell & Carol Ng-He on creativity and leadership: https://arlisna49thannualconference2021.sched.com/event/il1w/03-put-a-creative-spark-in-your-leadership

Call for volunteers – SCIP blog, new Instagram account, Vice moderator, ideas for 2022 Chicago conference activities

  • Emily Coxe volunteered to be vice moderator.
  • Shannon Robinson volunteered to work with Heather on social media.
  • Janine St. Germaine will assist in creating a listing of artists residencies on the SCIP blog.

Board Liaison
Rebecca Price introduced herself as Board Liaison and defined her role. She reminded the group that a call for funding requests will go out later in the summer, but that there will still be opportunities for smaller requests throughout the year.

Next SCIP Meeting

  • We’ll aim for October

Action Items

  • Heather will create a SCIP Instagram account
  • Shannon with work with Heather to develop a social media plan and assist in gathering content.
  • Heather will update the SCIP blog with today’s meeting minutes and share them on the listserv.
  • Heather will query the SCIP list about a possible online exhibit of art by ARLIS/NA members for the Chicago conference.
  • Janine help create a listing of artists residencies in libraries and archives. We will need another volunteer for this to take the lead on the project.
  • Heather and Shannon will touch base about the vice/co-moderator role.

2020 Virtual Annual Meeting Minutes

SCIP (Stimulating Creativity in Practice) SIG Meeting
April 27, 2020, 2:00pm via Zoom

The meeting was led by Jill Chisnell who took over as coordinator of this SIG in November of 2019 and Megan Lotts took minutes. Currently Jill is looking for a co-moderator for this SIG. Currently this SIG has 65 members, but this list is not complete. It was recognized by many people attending that a virtual meeting outside the conference was a better method to communicate and should be continued for the future yearly business meeting.

The SIG has a WordPress but is currently in a static state and in need of a content creator/moderator. Please contact Jill Chisnell if interesting in serving in this role.

There was a makerspace planned for ARLIS/NA 2020 in St. Louis which would have been a space to make, relax, and meet other people. Closer to planning for the conference in Montreal, the SIG will need to discuss a makerspace aspect (if conference organizers wish to continue tradition).

There is a need to re-gain traction in this SIG and Jill Chisnell and Megan Lotts will pull together a survey to send to the 65 registered members of this group/SCIP SIG distribution list which will ask questions about discussion topics and other general information.

The meeting was followed by a show-and-tell of members from the SIG casually talking about their work as makers and librarians. This show-and-tell provided a rich discussion about multiple topics and made it clear there is a need and want for this SIG to continue.

ARLIS/NA Online Art Exhibition, 2014


If you haven’t done so already, please check out the SCIP Exhibit!

This online exhibit was developed by the Stimulating Creativity In Practice group for the 2014 ARLIS/NA National Conference in D.C.

works by:

Annette Haines
Eric M. Wolf
Elizabeth Hollenbeck
Gabriella Solti
Marcie Farwell
Marianne Sade
Marta Chudolinska
Robert Lobe
Claire Dannenbaum
Hillary Veeder
Peter Klubek
Kai Alexis Smith
Rene Aranzamendez
Laura Graveline
Isabel Ayres
Greta Bahnemann
Cynthia Gregory

SCIP members Elizabeth Hollenbeck and Angela Weaver collaborated to showcase this amazing work in advance of the 2014 Annual Conference.  Visitors can browse by item, artist or medium (paintings, sculpture/3D, prints/mixed-media/collage, textiles, and photographs).

Meeting Minutes from ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2014, Washington D.C.

SCIP Meeting Minutes
ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2014, Washington D.C.
Fri, May 2, 2pm – 3pm
Room: Roosevelt, Grand Hyatt

In Attendance: Marcie Farwell, Ellen Petraits, Tad Suzuki, Leigh Gates, Jack Robertson, Marianne Sade, Marta Chudolinska, Gabrielle Reed, Kimberly Lesley, Robert Lobe, Jennifer Friedman, Ben Howell, Angela Weaver, Kristen Kern, Sarah Carter

  • Welcome and introductions

The meeting convened at approximately 2:00 p.m. by Annette Haines who thanked members for attending. Attendees introduced themselves and described their creative practice if they had one.

  • Creating a SCIP website/newsletter

Ideas for creating a SCIP website were discussed. The site could provide information about the group, it’s members, policies, upcoming events, member profiles, meeting minutes, newsletters, etc. Leslie Vega (not in attendance) expressed interest in continuing on as newsletter editor. Kimberly Lesley volunteered to assist Leslie with the creation of a SCIP website. Anyone else interested in helping with the website and/or newsletter should contact Leslie (lesliemartavega@gmail.com) or Kim (klesley@uarts.edu)

  • Discussed doing a member survey to find out more about each other. Annette will draft this up and send it out soon.
  • Member’s Exhibition – plans for next conference

Rob Lobe floated the idea of having a physical exhibition in conjunction with the 2015 ARLIS/NA conference. In order to avoid the complications of having to insure works, he suggested an exhibit of small works to be sold to benefit a charity. (After the meeting, Annette spoke with Kai Alexis (kaialexis@gmail.com) who is working with the Diversity committee to reach out to Library Schools that encourage undergraduates to explore the path of Librarianship. Kai hopes we might consider partnering with the Diversity committee and perhaps using the funds raised with the small works exhibit to help an underrepresented student attend the ARLS/NA annual conference).

Rob thought it best if we could connect with an art cooperative or gallery in the Fort Worth area. Any SCIP members in the Forth Worth area are asked to please contact Rob (rlobe@sva.edu) or Annette (ahaines@umich.edu)

An Omeka online exhibit would archive the exhibit. Angela Weaver and Ben Howell agreed to work on the Omeka exhibit. Anyone interested in helping with this should contact Angela (aw6@u.washington.edu) or Ben (ben.howell@gmail.com)

  • Communications – email list, Facebook, Google+

We have over 100 SCIP members on the SCIP email list. Far fewer are in the Facebook and Google+ SCIP groups. Annette will post some guidelines about posting the the SCIP email list and is hoping that this will encourage people to share ideas and information on the list. Members can still feel free to post to the Facebook and Google+ lists, but the email list will be our main mode of communication.

  • Announcement of SCIP members involvement in Sessions (please let Annette ahaines@umich.edu know if you were involved in a session and it was not mentioned here)

-Christine Cavalier – Mapping the Boston Built Environment: History Pin in the Classroom
-Sara Carter – Surprise! Pop-Up Libraries Where You Least Expect Them
-Gar Ginther, Judy Donovan, Jamie Lausch Vander Broek, Amanda H. Brown, Megan Lotts, Jill E. Luedke – Of, By, For the Artist: The Library as Venue for Student Creativity
-Marcie Farwell – The Ar(t)chive: The Intersection of Artists and Archives through Collaboration
-Jennifer Friedman – Designing an Information Literacy MOOC for Art Students

  • Session ideas for next year

We will take this up on the SCIP email list. Please email ideas to ARLISNA-SCIP@umich.edu

  • Long-range goals – brainstorming

Also to be continued on the SCIP email list. Please email ideas to ARLISNA-SCIP@umich.edu

  • Meeting adjourned at approximately 3:00pm

Meeting Minutes- ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2013, Pasadena, CA

Meeting Notes from Pasadena

Stimulating Creativity in Practice (SCIP) SIG Meeting Minutes

ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2013, Pasadena, CA

Friday April 26, 2013 4:45pm – 5:45pm

Ballroom A (shared)

In attendance: Deirdre Donohue, Robert Lobe, Lanice Lurie, Leigh Gates, Shari Salisbury, Julie Yamashita, Skye Lacerte, Leslie Vega, Judy Donovan, Sonja Staum, Annette Haines

  • Welcome and introductions

    • The meeting convened at approximately 4:50 p.m. by Annette Haines who thanked members for attending. Attendees introduced themselves and told the group why they were interested in the SCIP SIG.

  • Review of SCIP SIG Description

    • We postponed reviewing the SCIP SIG description as Annette could not bring up the text on her computer.

  • Do we want/need a logo? Volunteers?

    • Judy Donovan reiterated the reasons why she thought a logo or some type of visual identification would be useful for the group. Robert Lobe agreed to find a student to come up with ideas for a logo.

  • Sharing ideas – We have the email list and a Facebook page. How can we encourage more idea sharing?

  • Many ideas were discussed including

    • Using Google+ instead of Facebook so we could use the Google Hangouts feature and it would be more separated from our personal Facebook community. Annette Haines has set up a Google+ page for the group and will invite everyone that is currently in the email list.

    • Using Mail Chimp to create a monthly newsletter. Leslie Vega agreed to look into this.

    • Create a fun member questionnaire/form for people to fill out as a way to get to know each other with questions like why are you interested in the SCIP SIG, favorite quotes, books, etc. This could be posted on Google+. Annette Haines will try to come up with something to float and see how it goes.

    • It was mentioned that we do not want to spread ourselves too thin with too many avenues for communication.  

  • Plan for member art exhibition for ARLIS/NA 2014

  • Everyone seemed enthusiastic about hosting a member art exhibition at the 2014 conference. There was some discussion of previous member exhibitions. All agreed that it would be best if we could have the exhibition in a venue where other ARLIS/NA activities would take place such as the opening reception or during a gallery visit. Annette Haines will contact the local arrangements co-chairs for the Washington D.C. conference and see how we should pitch the idea (whether as a program proposal or something else).  

  • Plan for workshop or presentation for ARLIS/NA 2014

  • We talked about proposing a panel for the 2014 conference. Some possible topics included:

    • Ideas to help generate student interest in libraries (e.g. zines, meditation, etc.) – Judy Donovan presented for Jill Luedeke (who couldn’t be at the meeting.

    • Ways to use art students to bring creativity into the library – Skye Lacerte.

    • Library as incubator, outreach and tapping into local communities – Robert Lobe.

    • We thought we should extend this discussion further with the rest of the group on the email list.

  • Annette Haines will contact Lynda Barry and see if she would be willing to either speak or do a workshop on creativity and what her fees would be. For more information about Lynda Barry see this article in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/magazine/cartoonist-lynda-barry-will-make-you-believe-in-yourself.html?pagewanted=all 

  • Long-range goals – brainstorming

  • Wanted to make it clear that this group is not limited to people interested in the visual arts, but also writing, improvisation, music and all other forms of creative work. 

  • Meeting adjourned at approximately 5:45 p.m.