2020 Virtual Annual Meeting Minutes

SCIP (Stimulating Creativity in Practice) SIG Meeting
April 27, 2020, 2:00pm via Zoom

The meeting was led by Jill Chisnell who took over as coordinator of this SIG in November of 2019 and Megan Lotts took minutes. Currently Jill is looking for a co-moderator for this SIG. Currently this SIG has 65 members, but this list is not complete. It was recognized by many people attending that a virtual meeting outside the conference was a better method to communicate and should be continued for the future yearly business meeting.

The SIG has a WordPress but is currently in a static state and in need of a content creator/moderator. Please contact Jill Chisnell if interesting in serving in this role.

There was a makerspace planned for ARLIS/NA 2020 in St. Louis which would have been a space to make, relax, and meet other people. Closer to planning for the conference in Montreal, the SIG will need to discuss a makerspace aspect (if conference organizers wish to continue tradition).

There is a need to re-gain traction in this SIG and Jill Chisnell and Megan Lotts will pull together a survey to send to the 65 registered members of this group/SCIP SIG distribution list which will ask questions about discussion topics and other general information.

The meeting was followed by a show-and-tell of members from the SIG casually talking about their work as makers and librarians. This show-and-tell provided a rich discussion about multiple topics and made it clear there is a need and want for this SIG to continue.

Meeting Minutes: ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2019, Salt Lake City, UT

SCIP (Stimulating Creativity in Practice) SIG Meeting
March 28, 2019, 8:00AM
Grand America Hotel (Versailles)
Salt Lake City, UT

In attendance: Jill Chisnell, Heather Gendron, Greg Hatch, Mikael Kriz, Sunyoung Park

Minutes submitted by Jill Chisnell (SCIP SIG coordinator)

Welcome and Introductions

Jill Chisnell took over as the SCIP SIG coordinator in November 2018. Since then she has been working on planning the conference makerspace with staff from the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah. She is in touch with Peter Klubek, a former SCIP coordinator. Introductions continued as attendees shared their institution, position, and creative interests (professional and personal).

Makerspace at ARLIS/NA 2019

This year’s makerspace has been organized by SCIP and staff from Creativity & Innovation Services at the Marriott Library. Activities include 3D printing, VR/AR experiences, and hands-on making activities such as pinback buttons, postcards, zines, and bookmarks. Puzzles and chess are also available. Makerspace representatives and volunteers are on-site to provide instructions and demonstrations, as well as share how they’ve implemented creative activities at their libraries.

Makerspace Schedule:

  • Wednesday March 27, 3-5:30pm
  • Thursday, March 28, 9am-5pm
  • Friday, March 29, 9am-1pm

SCIP Communication and Information Sharing (past, present, future)

WordPress blog is out-of-date. While there doesn’t appear to be much interest in populating the blog at this time, the group discussed automated RSS feeds from social media accounts that could feed to the blog. There was also mention of an online exhibit of member artwork.

There was interest in exploring Instagram:

  • Use a SIG-specific hashtag like #scipsig
  • Additional relevant hashtags #creativelibrarian, #artlibrary, #craftylibrarian, #artlibrarian, #artinthelibrary

The public Facebook group (ARLIS/NA Stimulating Creativity in Practice SIG), administered by Megan Lotts (Rutgers University Libraries), is active.

The group will continue to use ARLIS-L and SCIP listserv for major announcements. Following the conference, Jill plans to attend to housekeeping issues including the SCIP listserv and current member list.

ARLIS/NA 2020 in St. Louis

Mikael Kriz is on local conference planning committee for ARLIS/NA 2020. In addition to the conference makerspace, the group discussed potential SCIP sponsored events such as:

  • tour of local makerspace or gallery
  • local artist lecture (Mikael mentioned a local Marvel comic artist.)
  • slideshow of member artwork to play prior to keynote speech or all-conference programming (this has been done at past conferences)
  • SCIP facilitated panel

Conference makerspace ideas:

  • add additional creative activities such as drawing
  • work with Academic Technology Common at Saint Louis University Libraries to offer technology activities and/or equipment lending (360º camera)

Meeting Minutes from ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2014, Washington D.C.

SCIP Meeting Minutes
ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2014, Washington D.C.
Fri, May 2, 2pm – 3pm
Room: Roosevelt, Grand Hyatt

In Attendance: Marcie Farwell, Ellen Petraits, Tad Suzuki, Leigh Gates, Jack Robertson, Marianne Sade, Marta Chudolinska, Gabrielle Reed, Kimberly Lesley, Robert Lobe, Jennifer Friedman, Ben Howell, Angela Weaver, Kristen Kern, Sarah Carter

  • Welcome and introductions

The meeting convened at approximately 2:00 p.m. by Annette Haines who thanked members for attending. Attendees introduced themselves and described their creative practice if they had one.

  • Creating a SCIP website/newsletter

Ideas for creating a SCIP website were discussed. The site could provide information about the group, it’s members, policies, upcoming events, member profiles, meeting minutes, newsletters, etc. Leslie Vega (not in attendance) expressed interest in continuing on as newsletter editor. Kimberly Lesley volunteered to assist Leslie with the creation of a SCIP website. Anyone else interested in helping with the website and/or newsletter should contact Leslie (lesliemartavega@gmail.com) or Kim (klesley@uarts.edu)

  • Discussed doing a member survey to find out more about each other. Annette will draft this up and send it out soon.
  • Member’s Exhibition – plans for next conference

Rob Lobe floated the idea of having a physical exhibition in conjunction with the 2015 ARLIS/NA conference. In order to avoid the complications of having to insure works, he suggested an exhibit of small works to be sold to benefit a charity. (After the meeting, Annette spoke with Kai Alexis (kaialexis@gmail.com) who is working with the Diversity committee to reach out to Library Schools that encourage undergraduates to explore the path of Librarianship. Kai hopes we might consider partnering with the Diversity committee and perhaps using the funds raised with the small works exhibit to help an underrepresented student attend the ARLS/NA annual conference).

Rob thought it best if we could connect with an art cooperative or gallery in the Fort Worth area. Any SCIP members in the Forth Worth area are asked to please contact Rob (rlobe@sva.edu) or Annette (ahaines@umich.edu)

An Omeka online exhibit would archive the exhibit. Angela Weaver and Ben Howell agreed to work on the Omeka exhibit. Anyone interested in helping with this should contact Angela (aw6@u.washington.edu) or Ben (ben.howell@gmail.com)

  • Communications – email list, Facebook, Google+

We have over 100 SCIP members on the SCIP email list. Far fewer are in the Facebook and Google+ SCIP groups. Annette will post some guidelines about posting the the SCIP email list and is hoping that this will encourage people to share ideas and information on the list. Members can still feel free to post to the Facebook and Google+ lists, but the email list will be our main mode of communication.

  • Announcement of SCIP members involvement in Sessions (please let Annette ahaines@umich.edu know if you were involved in a session and it was not mentioned here)

-Christine Cavalier – Mapping the Boston Built Environment: History Pin in the Classroom
-Sara Carter – Surprise! Pop-Up Libraries Where You Least Expect Them
-Gar Ginther, Judy Donovan, Jamie Lausch Vander Broek, Amanda H. Brown, Megan Lotts, Jill E. Luedke – Of, By, For the Artist: The Library as Venue for Student Creativity
-Marcie Farwell – The Ar(t)chive: The Intersection of Artists and Archives through Collaboration
-Jennifer Friedman – Designing an Information Literacy MOOC for Art Students

  • Session ideas for next year

We will take this up on the SCIP email list. Please email ideas to ARLISNA-SCIP@umich.edu

  • Long-range goals – brainstorming

Also to be continued on the SCIP email list. Please email ideas to ARLISNA-SCIP@umich.edu

  • Meeting adjourned at approximately 3:00pm

Meeting Minutes- ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2013, Pasadena, CA

Meeting Notes from Pasadena
4/26/2013

Stimulating Creativity in Practice (SCIP) SIG Meeting Minutes

ARLIS/NA Annual Conference 2013, Pasadena, CA

Friday April 26, 2013 4:45pm – 5:45pm

Ballroom A (shared)

In attendance: Deirdre Donohue, Robert Lobe, Lanice Lurie, Leigh Gates, Shari Salisbury, Julie Yamashita, Skye Lacerte, Leslie Vega, Judy Donovan, Sonja Staum, Annette Haines

  • Welcome and introductions

    • The meeting convened at approximately 4:50 p.m. by Annette Haines who thanked members for attending. Attendees introduced themselves and told the group why they were interested in the SCIP SIG.

  • Review of SCIP SIG Description

    • We postponed reviewing the SCIP SIG description as Annette could not bring up the text on her computer.

  • Do we want/need a logo? Volunteers?

    • Judy Donovan reiterated the reasons why she thought a logo or some type of visual identification would be useful for the group. Robert Lobe agreed to find a student to come up with ideas for a logo.

  • Sharing ideas – We have the email list and a Facebook page. How can we encourage more idea sharing?

  • Many ideas were discussed including

    • Using Google+ instead of Facebook so we could use the Google Hangouts feature and it would be more separated from our personal Facebook community. Annette Haines has set up a Google+ page for the group and will invite everyone that is currently in the email list.

    • Using Mail Chimp to create a monthly newsletter. Leslie Vega agreed to look into this.

    • Create a fun member questionnaire/form for people to fill out as a way to get to know each other with questions like why are you interested in the SCIP SIG, favorite quotes, books, etc. This could be posted on Google+. Annette Haines will try to come up with something to float and see how it goes.

    • It was mentioned that we do not want to spread ourselves too thin with too many avenues for communication.  

  • Plan for member art exhibition for ARLIS/NA 2014

  • Everyone seemed enthusiastic about hosting a member art exhibition at the 2014 conference. There was some discussion of previous member exhibitions. All agreed that it would be best if we could have the exhibition in a venue where other ARLIS/NA activities would take place such as the opening reception or during a gallery visit. Annette Haines will contact the local arrangements co-chairs for the Washington D.C. conference and see how we should pitch the idea (whether as a program proposal or something else).  

  • Plan for workshop or presentation for ARLIS/NA 2014

  • We talked about proposing a panel for the 2014 conference. Some possible topics included:

    • Ideas to help generate student interest in libraries (e.g. zines, meditation, etc.) – Judy Donovan presented for Jill Luedeke (who couldn’t be at the meeting.

    • Ways to use art students to bring creativity into the library – Skye Lacerte.

    • Library as incubator, outreach and tapping into local communities – Robert Lobe.

    • We thought we should extend this discussion further with the rest of the group on the email list.

  • Annette Haines will contact Lynda Barry and see if she would be willing to either speak or do a workshop on creativity and what her fees would be. For more information about Lynda Barry see this article in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/magazine/cartoonist-lynda-barry-will-make-you-believe-in-yourself.html?pagewanted=all 

  • Long-range goals – brainstorming

  • Wanted to make it clear that this group is not limited to people interested in the visual arts, but also writing, improvisation, music and all other forms of creative work. 

  • Meeting adjourned at approximately 5:45 p.m.